Quotes

Every now and again I come across a good quote. I make note of them here...

On analysis & design

"First solve the problem. Then, write the code." - John Johnson

"The cheapest, fastest and most reliable components of a computer system are those that aren't there" - Gordon Bell

"Without requirements or design, programming is the art of adding bugs to an empty text file." - Louis Srygley

On development

"Current development speed is a function of past development quality." - Brian McCallister

On project management

"Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight." - Bill Gates

"In software, the first 90% of the work takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time." - Jeff Atwood

On testing

"Everybody has a testing environment. Some people are lucky enough to have a totally separate environment to run production in." - Unknown

"Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never show their absence!" - Edsger W. Dijkstra

On maintenance

"All software becomes legacy as soon as it is written." - Andrew Hunt & David Thomas

On documentation

"We don't need an accurate document, we need a shared understanding." - Jeff Patton